24 Sep 2018
It will help business measure progress against the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Towards a more sustainable future
hg0080.com皇冠Aviva has long recognised the benefits to our business, our customers and the world of a sustainable future. At Aviva we’re incredibly proud to be promoting the vital reorientation of capital away from short-term thinking and towards more sustainable financial markets. As an international insurer and investor, we’re acutely aware that the investments and decisions we make today will influence the world we live in tomorrow, and we’re in this for the long term.
hg0080.com皇冠We recognise we cannot do this alone. In 2015 Mark Wilson, Aviva’s Group CEO spoke at the UN calling for the SDGs to be turned into a corporate competitive sport by drawing up transparent data on performance towards meeting the SDGs and ranking companies according to how well they are doing.
hg0080.com皇冠Aviva is a founding partner of the World Benchmarking Alliance and with the support from the UK, Danish and Dutch governments is working on benchmarks to measure, motivate, and reward action on the SDGs.
The pace of positive change on sustainable finance is rapid. We must act now on smart policymaking and regulation, in partnership with positive businesses and civil society, to reshape financial markets in time. Read more about our support of the SDGs and commitment to sustainable finance here.
hg0080.com皇冠Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £350 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at the Aviva group are £490 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
hg0080.com皇冠Index Initiative, a non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam, seeks to propel the use of benchmarks to engage companies in advancing the SDGs. It strives to bring clarity to the role and performance of companies in contributing to the goals most relevant to their core business, while providing stakeholders and the wider public with free and accessible research and benchmarks. Index Initiative - as one of the founding partners of the WBA - will undergo a name and governance change to become the WBA, leading the development and delivery of the WBA benchmarks.
The United Nations Foundation
The United Nations Foundation builds public-private partnerships to address the world’s most pressing problems and broadens support for the United Nations through advocacy and public outreach. Through innovative campaigns and initiatives, the Foundation connects people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems. The Foundation was created in 1998 as a U.S. public charity by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner and now is supported by philanthropic, corporate, government, and individual donors. Learn more at:
For further press information, please contact:
Michael Kelly, Edelman
+44(0)20 3047 2119
Kelsey Hickson, Edelman
+44 (0)20 3047 4121